Wednesday 18 January 2012

My Veggie Moussaka


  
I made this delicious vegetarian moussaka the other night and was really pleased with it - especially as I didn't follow a recipe! It comfortably served me and my husband, but we did have enormous portions!
 
Ingredients:
 
Two handfuls of Green lentils (approx)
One large augergine sliced length ways
Red pepper cut into 4 pieces lengthways
Yellow pepper cut into 4 pieces lengthways
Large onion sliced lengthways into thick slices
Fresh thyme
Tin of tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic with skin left on
Chilli infused olive oil
Big knob of butter
Small handful of flour
Milk
Cheddar and/or goats cheese, grated
 
Method:
(pre-heat oven to 180c)
1) Roast the aubergine, peppers, onion and garlic in the chilli oil (you may need more than one roasting tin)
2) Simmer the lentils until cooked
3) When the veg is nearly roasted start making the bechemel sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan and slowly add the flour to make a roux, then add the milk slowly to create a creamy sauce. I can't say how much milk to add as it always differs and depends on how thick you want the sauce. You need to make enough to go on top of the moussaka
4) Chop up the tomatoes and mix in the thyme (add salt and pepper as you like)
5) Take the veg out of the oven and squeeze out the roasted garlic and rub it all over the slices of aubergine (this gets a bit messy!)
6) When everything is cooked, layer the veg in a casserole dish as follows: Half the aubergine, all the peppers, half the tomatoes, all the lentils, all the onion, other half of the tomatoes, other half of the aubergines (you can mess around with the order, as long as there are aubergines on the top)
7) Pour the bechemel sauce on top and then scatter over the cheese, finally add some ground pepper on top.
8) Bake in the over for half an hour - 45 mins
 
Serve with a green salad. I think if I was making this again I would use two aubergines.


4 comments:

  1. I made it! Thanks Mel, was yummy. See here: http://www.grainysgarden.blogspot.com/2012/01/runner-bean-runner-veggie-moussaka.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya, so nice to hear that you made my recipe!!! Ooh, I'll have to post some others now. You've inspired me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well,you have been busy Mel.I have enjoyed looking at the meals Gareth described . Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Welcome to blogger. I'll add more photos soon. Melx

    ReplyDelete