Tuesday 1 November 2011

A new discovery: Spaghetti Squash


I purchased my first spaghetti squash the other day from our local greengrocer's. It was the first time I'd seen one for sale so I thought I would give it a try. I was amazed that the strands inside the squash actually did resemble spaghetti (well, more accurately, noodles), but are ten times less calorific, according to one website I stumbled upon.
After googling some recipes, I decided to simply cut the squash in half and roast it in the oven in a casserole dish with some extra virgin olive oil, garlic and herbs. I filled the dish with hot water to accelerate the cooking and roasted some vegetables at the same time. Unfortunately, the squash took ages to cook and I had to take it out of the oven prematurely (we were going to the cinema). It was in for 45 minutes, but I think it needed an hour. I zapped it in the microwave for 5 minutes, but I think it would have been better to leave it in the oven.
Once ready, I scraped out the noodle-like strands and mixed them with the roasted vegetables, some more extra virgin olive oil and some grated cheddar cheese.


A great alternative to pasta!

Weird strands of squash!

3 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing when I gutted the squash. While I knew it would be stringy I was still amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, looks lovely! Was it in Laura's greengrocers? I saw one in there the other day, but had already filled my bag with mini pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think that's the one - it's opposite tescos on cowbridge road. Really good tomatoes there at the moment too :-)

    ReplyDelete